Monday, June 27, 2011

Fish & Chips


Hello all! I'm back! I have been cooking quite often, but haven't been documenting it...sorry about that. I figured tonight for dinner I'd make something different and post it for you folks. I'm running low on groceries, so I had to make with what I had on hand. I realized I had a filet sitting in my freezer waiting to be picked, and 1 red potato sitting all alone in it's bowl. Immediately, I thought fish and chips! Britain's common meal, fish and chips is traditionally prepared as a breaded cod, deep fried, and served with golden fries. However, what I've made here isn't your traditional fish and chips; rather, I took the concept and added my own flair to it. I chose to use a trout, which is a fish very similar in taste and texture to salmon (my favorite type of fish). I soaked it in lemon juice, and crusted it with panko crumbs and toasted pistachio with dried parsley. For the fries, I used a red potato, with the skin left on, of course. I tossed them in olive oil, and sprinkled on a generous amount of paprika, garlic, oregano, and salt. The fries will take about 30 minutes to bake, and the trout is cooked at about 10 minutes per inch of thickness. You don't want to overload the fish with extra flavors and seasonings, because the taste of the meat is quite exquisite without adding anything to it. This is a very quick, no mess meal that will definitely fill your hungry stomach. 

What's in it: 
-trout, panko bread crumbs, pistachio, lemon juice, parsley
-red potato, paprika, salt, garlic powder, dried oregano, olive oil

1 comment: